Monday, June 25, 2007

God I love my garden in the summer. Things I learned this weekend:

1. Bags of steer manure are only .88 at Home Depot.
2. Earthworms don't like steer manure very much. Coffee grounds it is.
3. The Peet's near my house segregates the coffee grounds into tear-proof bags and puts them in an easily accessibly dumpster. I can reach inside said dumpster if I start with the stepstool I keep in my car.
4. Determinate tomatoes are annoying.
5. Indeterminate tomato vines need more support than they get from wussy galvanized metal tomato cages from Home Depot.
6. I can make salsa entirely from my garden except for the onions.
7. Roasted peppers and tomatoes and onions smell like fajitas.
8. Roasted basil, tomatoes and parm is really good.
9. Raspberries turn red waaaay too slow.
10. The ground below where the compost bin used to be really is magical. The beans I've planted elsewhere in the garden either don't sprout, or get eaten by cutworms and slugs before they're two inches tall. The beans I planted where the compost bin used to be grew two inches tall almost overnight, and they don't have so much as a bite taken out of them. They are superbeans! Thank you compost.
11. I think I can make "firewood" out of dried bird of paradise cuttings.

No comments: